Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Knitting

This lovely print by Anthony Watkins bears a resemblance to my oldest daughter, who has been doing quite a bit of knitting and crocheting this winter. Her example has inspired her sister Joy to bring out her needles, and this morning they were both clicking while I was reading our literature selection aloud. It's the perfect winter pastime~~ something industrious that can be done by the fire. Melody likes the lush angora yarns and uses big needles to create long scarves. She figured out her own way to make the fringe, a little different from anything I've seen. She has used crochet chains and I think the end result is very pleasing.

Although I haven't engaged in any knitting lately, I have wonderful memories of knitting with my neighbor and bosom buddy during my growing up years. We made Barbie doll dresses, slippers, scarves, and lots of other little projects. We did it in the summer, though, pulling our lawn chairs into the shade, talking and knitting furiously like 2 little old ladies.

I was very proud that I was able to teach my Grandmother to knit after developing my skill. She far exceeded anything I ever accomplished. I think she knitted an afghan for each of her 9 grandchildren.

I hope to do that someday! Knitting is like riding a bike; you never forget how to do it. The only reason I don't do it now is because I can't figure out a way to read and knit at the same time!

Do you knit?

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I knit. I really enjoy it, too, but there are seasons... I have one small crochet project I'm working on now. I've been working on it for quite a while and I'm only half done. I found a knitting pattern recently that I really like. It will probably be the next project of this kind I take on. I think it looks interesting, kind of a woven basket look.

Oh, I once knitted a tan mitten, sadly it never got a mate... :) I think I was about 12 and I made it on a long car trip.