Sunday, March 02, 2008

What I've Learned About Birthday Parties


www.art.com
Rosemary Babikan

My newly-turned-nine-year-old daughter had a little party this afternoon. She is very, very tired because she planned and prepared most of it herself. I'm reflecting tonight, as Moms often do when they see their children reach a milestone. I'm also thinking about how much more relaxed I am now in comparison with the way I managed such events with my first born. Here are some things I think I have learned:

  • Anticipating the event is as much fun as the event itself. Allow plenty of time at bedtime to talk about how much fun it will be and to kick around ideas.
  • The process is more important than the product. So what if the words on the invitation are a little crooked? Who cares if the crepe paper streamers have a few kinks? And does it really matter that she forgot to put frosting in the hole of the angel food cake?
  • Play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.
  • Let the children use the web camera on the iMac. It's such fun to hear them laugh over the images of their stretched-out selves~~ almost like the crazy mirrors of my day :)
  • Don't have a party every year. When it is EXPECTED, it loses its luster.
  • Floam (or Model Magic Fusion), feathers, Styrofoam balls, and pipe cleaners provide hours of fun at the table.
  • Clean after the party, not before.
  • Savor the memories.

No comments: