Thursday, April 10, 2008

Old World Baked Goods


At the risk of sounding like a commercial, I can't resist singing the praises of one of our local gems. Rotella's baked goods have been a staple in Omaha area restaurants and grocery stores for about a century, but it has only been recently that I discovered the home bakery where the bread is actually produced. A mere 75 cents will buy you a one-pound loaf; or 95 cents for a two-pound loaf. Hearty and substantial, I have been forever spoiled and now sniff snobbishly at the wimpy loaves that typically pass for bread on the grocery shelf.

It is worth a separate, once -a -week trip to Rotella's to make selections for the family's menus and to enjoy the smell of warm bread whilst I am making decisions. The element of surprise is half the fun. Will they have marble bread today? I hope so, because Dana has made me hungry for a Reuben sandwich. Oooh, there are cored sourdough bowls for soup this time! Rosemary focaccia ciabatta will go into the freezer awaiting that Italian meal I've been wanting to make.....and just look at all the ways I can dress up a hamburger!

Like merchant ships, the excellent wife described in Proverbs 31 "brings her food from afar".
For the ones we love most, it is worth a little extra effort to make the table we set special. The smell of fresh bread baking is just a little perk for doing that, no calories added!


No comments: