Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Book in Progress: Frankenstein


I did not expect to like this book. It was a title to be read by my two teenagers for homeschool, and I decided to make it a read aloud. I am so glad I did. It is provoking very stimulating discussion: what is the root of evil? Can evil be blamed on circumstances? Can it be blamed on our DNA? What does a creature owe to his Creator? Is it preferable to face evil or run from it?
etc.

Not easy questions, but ones that invite in depth thinking.

The author, Mary Shelley, was the wife of the famous English poet. The language in the book is rich and complex.

Somehow, I missed this book when I was in school and I am glad to have a chance to visit it now in tandem with my own teens. I'm sorry it has been cheapened by poor representations in movies and re-writes, because there are some important gems hidden in its pages.

1 comment:

Joyful Days said...

I missed this book in high school too! In fact I didn't read it until a couple years ago. I was surprised at how touched I was by it. Not at all what I was expecting. You are right, contemporary takes on this don't do it justice.

Definitely will be a read aloud with the boys and I when they are a bit older.