I love this velvety soup and often serve it as a first course for a Christmas or Thanksgiving meal. This year I tweaked it a bit and added the peanut butter. I'd like to tweak it again and try curry instead of ginger, just for variety. It can be garnished with toasted pecans, croutons, or pears.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 12 oz. cups pear nectar
- 2 T. peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large saucepan combine onion, water, and bouillon granules. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until onion is very tender; cool slightly. Do not drain.
- Transfer mixture to a blender container or food processor bowl. Add pumpkin and peanut butter, and a little of the half & half. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Return pumpkin mixture to saucepan. Stir in remaining half-and-half , pear nectar, ginger, and white pepper. Cook and stir until heated through. Do not boil.