Friday, May 08, 2009

Art for Spring

Full Bloom by Anne Nye

Spring is the perfect time to highlight the floral work of Anne Nye, a contemporary artist that reminds me a little of Georgia O'Keeffe. Anne uses a unique layering process, combining painting with glass making. In her own words:

“My work, like my experience of life, is about layers.

I layer color over color and glass over glass, opacity over transparency. Just as joy layers over sorrow and today over yesterday, in my art patches of brilliant colors peek through darker ones like sweet secrets heard on a summer day, remembered in winter. So all my experiences come together in each work. Brilliant background colors express the joyous freedom of my childhood Idaho summers; layered with years of work and study, loss and gain. The tactile top layer expresses the now – taking us right up to the present, which will never be here again.”


I love the iris, which shows accurate detail and brilliant color. See more of her work here.

No comments: