- Roasted Chickpeas--tossed in a little olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt and chili powder. These make a great snack and also add interest to a salad.
- Black bean/mango salsa--yummy with Trader Joe's Tortilla/Flax chips
- Smoked Salmon/cream cheese log--spreadable high protein snack for my youngest
- Gluten-Free Bread--My gluten-free boarder likes my loaf better than the Udi's brand!
- Cabbage wedges-- lightly buttered, a little Worcestershire and a few bacon bits added, then baked in foil in a hot oven
- Quinoa with chunks of cucumbers, tomatoes, diced onion, black beans and dressed lightly with a drizzle of olive oil/lime juice/garlic and sprinkled generously with Penzey's Florida Pepper blend.
- Steel Cut Oats or Pearl Barley--I make a big batch, stirring applesauce in with the water and setting the bowl in a crock pot full of water. It cooks gently in about 4 hours and is ready to pop in the refrigerator. So handy to heat up one bowlful at a time in the mornings and it is yummy with snipped, dried prunes, fresh blueberries, raisins, or a dash of cinnamon and stevia.
- Meat rub--I've been trying to duplicate a special rib rub my friend Mary gave me for my birthday. I've come pretty close! The secret ingredient is a tablespoon of ground coffee + kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder, and a touch of brown sugar.
The Penzey Spice company's motto is a winner in my book: LOVE TO COOK--COOK TO LOVE