Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Servant King

In the state of half-consciousness that comes between sleep and wakefulness, I was aware of the fact that my back was exposed. On it were welts and stripes forming a network of crisscrosses. Along each stripe were tiny words, cruel words; the very words that have haunted me for the past year.

But then I became aware of His radiant presence. He was standing beside me, holding a bowl of clear, cool water and holding a towel.

"I have come to wash your wounds," He said.

"Lord," I answered, "Not just my back, but all of me!"

"You are already clean because of the Word I have spoken. It is enough that I wash your stripes."

And then I awakened (?), or came to full wakefulness. A hymn of praise was running through my mind, praise to the Savior who girds Himself with a towel and serves the one whose wounds are so insignificant compared to His own.

No comments: