Friday, December 21, 2007

In a Minor Key


I bought this for Selah's rendition of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel", which is my favorite Christmas song. It is preceded by a simple strings counter- melody that is just hauntingly beautiful. This past week I've taken my four children Christmas shopping (individually) and have been forced to listen to the jangly, cotton candy junk that passes as holiday atmosphere in most stores. This music is tonic for that; most of the numbers are in a minor key and are soothing and reverent.

My memory bank is filled with Christmas music that I remember from my childhood: Julie Andrews, Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis. I hope the Selah music will be treasured in my children's hearts and that it will call up for them similar sweet associations.

2 comments:

ichthys said...

'In a bleak mid-winter'It was this favourite carol of mine,with words by Christina Rossetti that prompted me in 1987, to buy my first poetrybook (rather late in life,I know),a short collection of her work.It had a profound effect upon me at the time,especially her poem'SONG' ..oh roses for the flush of youth/and laurel for the perfect prime/but pluck an ivy branch for me/grown old before my time.It had a slow burn on me as it was a few years later that I first tried my hand at this most personal of art forms.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS & A CREATIVE NEW YEAR and thank you for your fellowship during the year via this blog of yours..truly an oasis
of beauty.

Poiema said...

I, too, enjoy Christina Rossetti. My youngest daughter is currently reading her poetry~~we choose a different poet to focus on for 3 months at a time. It seems we really get the "flavor" of their work when we read one poet exclusively for a period of time rather than just random selections.


By the way, I just started reading a very meaty book called _Ideas Have Consequences_. In it the author devotes a chapter to the importance of poetry as a cohesive force in society. I peeked ahead~~haven't read that chapter carefully yet but I'm looking forward to it and will report on it when I get there.

It has been fun corresponding via the blog this past year. Thank you for reading and commenting and may you be blessed in the New Year with lots of inspiration for new poetry.