Friday, May 30, 2008

Of Tin Foil and Home Remedies


I'm always amazed at how easily young people seem to understand computers. I don't know what I will do when my teenagers grow up and leave me~~I call on them often for help in figuring out computer related problems. Most of the time they are successful.

Joy solved a problem we were having with our WiFi signal. If you have a large house or a two-storey house and use a router, you have perhaps experienced the same difficulty we were having. The signal is strong in certain parts of the house, but fades as you get farther away.

Fifteen minutes, a little tin foil, and a glue stick solved the problem. The signal can be boosted significantly by making a little parabola shaped "sail" to insert onto the router antenna. There is a short instructive video here, and a template suitable for printing here.

Amazing results! I love home remedies of this sort, don't you?

No comments: