Monday, July 07, 2008

On Growing Older

"Growing old is no more than a bad habit which a busy man has no time to form."
Andre Maurois, French author (1885-1967)

When I read this quote I immediately thought of my Dad. In his mid 70's, he has recently completed an amazing basement renovation in the little house he and my Mom are preparing to move into. I label it "amazing" because my Dad has recently lost much of his eyesight due to macular degeneration and he also has no feeling in the fingers of his right hand. My Mom helped him guide the drill when precision was needed, so she gets part of the credit, too!

Our family enjoyed an overnight with them on the 4th of July. They have the true gift of hospitality, and we felt as though we had just spent time at a lovely bed & breakfast. Hats off to them for showing how productive our older years can be.

1 comment:

Amy© said...

They really are amazing! What an inspiration. I love the visual image of them working together as a team to use the drill. What a beautiful picture! Thanks for "sharing" them!