Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Blizzard Blessings

A blizzard can be terrifying if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, but if you are tucked safely inside, a raging blizzard can provide the backdrop for winter's finest perks. We've made some great memories the past 24 hours as a snowstorm has changed our normal routine. I feel once again that delicious pleasure I felt when I was a school kid and classes were canceled due to inclement weather. Hey, adults still need an occasional snow day! Here are some of the things we've done the past 24 hours that I have dubbed "blizzard blessings":

  • My parents spent the night with us rather than to risk driving in bad weather. This gave us a rare opportunity to spend some relaxed and fun time together.
  • We played games: Sequence (my favorite), Mexican Dominoes, and Wii
  • A late evening pancake dinner
  • Sledding
  • *Real* hot cocoa
  • Baked Christmas cookies
  • Decorated a gingerbread house
  • Watched "Christmas Carol" late at night
  • Listened to Christmas music
  • Puttered in the basement
  • Wrote letters
  • Read by the fire
  • Read with the family: Shepherds Abiding by Jan Karon
  • Talked
Perhaps snow days are God's way of slowing us down.
At this moment, I would not trade this winter interlude for the grandest beach side home!

No comments: