Friday, November 17, 2006

Jammies



Anna has inspired me to dust off my sewing machine, which has had a long season of hibernation in the basement. I happened upon this soft flannel fabric for only one dollar a yard, and thought it the perfect thing for snugly winter pajamas. Using Anna's tips for a budding seamstress, I guided my 10 year old daughter in sewing a few of the straight seams, and then zig- zagging to finish them. This gave her some experience in using the sewing machine, as well as a share in the satisfaction of a nicely finished garment.

So much of my work as a mother and pastor's wife involves that which is intangible: sowing eternal truth into living souls. In contrast, a sewing project yields an immediate, concrete reward. It is good for the soul, don't you agree?

No comments: